Begin the Data Import Process
We're excited to help you import your data to Flipcause!
To get the data import process started, please schedule a call with your Account Services Manager: https://calendly.com/fcservices/data-import.
They will go over next steps and coach you on how to use tags, custom fields, and other things to look out for to ensure the cleanest data import possible.
Important things to note:
We will import two separate sets of data into your Flipcause Database:
- Transaction Data
- Contact Data
As such, we will need a separate CSV (or XLS) file submitted for each. But if you only have transaction data, that's ok. The system will automatically create contacts out of transaction data, along with the transactions.
The need for a differentiation between the two is that they are not necessarily related. One contact might have several transactions, while another person might have no transactions. These two layers of information combine together to give you complete information in your Flipcause Database and to use it like a CRM (rather than just for bank data, or just for email addresses).
1. Unique IDs
If a single Molly Jones has 4 transactions, we want to be sure we create 1 Contact for Molly Jones with 4 Transactions attributed to her, instead of 4 Molly Jones contacts each with 1 Transaction. Unless of course, you do have 4 separate Molly Joneses in your database, in which case we'll want the latter.
To make sure the data is imported correctly in such cases, we will use a unique ID:
- If you are exporting your data from another database, please include the CID (Contact ID) or other unique ID your current system uses. This will allow us to match the import by these existing unique IDs and get the data uploaded correctly.
- If you don't have unique IDs already, we'll match by email. This means that all data with the same email address will be treated as related to the same contact.
- If any data does not have an associated email in it, we will assign our own ID and upload those individually. This means if you have multiple entries for "Molly Jones" that don't have an email, they will all be uploaded as separate people into the database. This also means that if you have multiple entries for "Molly Jones" and some have an email and some don't, the ones with the same email will get matched as the same person, but the ones that don't have an email will be created as new people.
It's not possible to undo or delete data imported due to errors in the submission file. To avoid duplicate errors, you'll want to review your data and clean it before submission.
(But if you do end up with duplicates in your database, don't worry. You can run a duplicate check and merge them pretty easily.)
2. Standard Flipcause Fields & Custom Fields
We will map your existing data fields to Flipcause data fields. Existing fields are composed of Flipcause standard Transaction Fields, Flipcause standard Contact Fields, and the custom fields that are in your Flipcause account. If your data file contains fields that don't match Flipcause standard fields, we will check to see if they match any custom fields in your account. If they don't match any custom fields in your account, we will create those custom fields in your account first, to allow the full data set to be imported.
(To see which custom fields are in your account, sign into your Flipcause Dashboard and click on Custom Fields on the left-hand navigation menu.)
3. Remove any data you do not want imported before submitting your CSV.
We will import all data submitted. If you want anything excluded, please be sure to clean the file you submit to us and remove any unwanted information.