Looking for a quick way to send out everyone's year-end tax letters?
You can use your Contact Report to export a CSV of everyone's year-end tax receipts, and use this report to email everyone their reports. Here's how:
Step 1: Get the report from Flipcause
- Go to Reports > Contact Database Reporting (Contacts > Contact Reporting will also take you there)
- Since we'll be emailing these out, keep Choose Report Type = Contact Records (Group Records is best for direct mailers).
- If you're pulling reports for 2018, set Last Contribution Date to Between 12/31/2017 and 1/1/2018 to exclude everyone who did not donate in 2018.
- Optional: Restrict based on other filters, such as Business or Individual records, tags, or contribution amounts.
- Click Generate Report
- Scroll down and click View Full Report > Send me report via email > enter your email > click Get Report
- Check your email, your report should be there in a few minutes. Click the link in your email to download the report.
Step 2: Clean the data
- You can open the report in Microsoft Excel if you have that on your computer, or use Google Sheets.
- Your report will contain all available fields on your contacts, but for purpose of sending this e-blast, only 3 are required: Email, First Name (or which ever variation of their name you prefer to address your donors by), and 2018 Annual Summary PDF (assuming this is for 2018, of course). Delete the columns of fields you don't need and save your file as a CSV - it is now ready for import into your email program!
Step 3: Prepare & send email merge
- The next steps vary depending on what email program you use. For most, like Mailchimp, you'll want to import your list. During importing, make sure you get all the fields and pick titles for them in your email program so it is able to merge them for you.
- If you don't have an email program, you can draft this email in your Google email, and use Yet Another Mail Merge (which will pull the merge fields directly from your Google Sheets!)
- Write an email draft to thank your donors.
- Insert the merge tags that will pull from your spreadsheet fields. Depending on what email program you use, the merge tags will be different. Here's more info on how to do this with Mailchimp. Don't forget to include a merge tag for the column/field that contains the link to the PDF report!
In it's simplest format, your email draft should look something like this:
Hi [First Name],
Thank you for your contributions this year. Enclosed is your year-end tax receipt which you can download here: [2018 Annual Summary PDF]
- Now that you have your email template with merge tags, your list of names and annual reports, you are ready to schedule your email send to everyone!
To ensure that your year-end tax receipts are complete and provide a full, holistic picture for all of the constituent's activity, including offline/cash/check contributions, you'll want to be sure to log those offline payments into Flipcause. You can do this using the Add a Payment button, or directly from the Contact Profile in your database:
You can view and email a year-end tax receipt individually from the Contact Profile.